Thursday, November 24, 2005

The day of thanks....we call it thanksgiving...

Well, I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. I know I had plenty of Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, and Apple Pie. It was the first time I had been home since August. It kinda feels good to come home to see my family, but in a weird way Mobile is starting to feel more homely (if you remove the family factor).

The drive up on Wednesday was pretty good until around mile marker 234 where I ran into a huge traffic jam. I estimate I went about 5 miles in an estimated 1.5hrs at a snails pace. About 3.5-4 miles into it I saw an 18-wheeler with a police car behind it, so I thought this was the problem. It wasn't but it appeared in the stop-and-go traffic someone jumped over in front of him and caused him to abruptly put his brakes on which caused his cargo to slam into the front of the trailer, however the front of the trailer did not stop it. It took the back of the cab to finally stop it, thus the explaination to the disabled truck. So, about a 1-1.5 miles from the disabled truck I finally come upon the actual wreck. An 8 car pile-up against the concrete guard rail that seperates north bound and south bound lanes. Once we get past this obstacle it was a clean shot through Birmingham except for a slight slow down for malfunction junction (aka I65/I59-20 interchange). Poor people on the southbound lanes were really jacked up though, but not due to an accident. As the people passed the 8 car pile-up they were rubber-necking and caused them to back up a long way. Traffic was heavily congested 20 miles up the road due to the rubber-neckers.

Well, yet another black friday is upon us. I want to get one of the 19" Mag LCD monitors for $169 (after rebate) for mom, but I refuse to drive up the Huntsville in order to be there around like 3 or 4 AM to get in line for when they open the doors at 5AM. I'm going to try to get one online maybe. Mom has a little 15" Mag CRT, so I thought that would be good for her.

I would probably go to Staples to get one of the Maxtor 200gig hdd's for $29.95 (after rebate) but my hometown sucks, I think we still have THE largest wal-mart in Alabama and I think when it was built it was at least in the top 10 largest in the US. As you can see, Cullman lives at Wal-mart. But beyond that we do have an Office Max, they have Western Digital 200gig hdd's for $59.95 which isn't too bad, but not really worthy of bothering with it. Last year for black friday I went to Office Max to get the same thing, 200gig hdd for about double the price, I thought that maybe I should get there a little bit early to get in line. So I did, when I got in there and was looking around the people were going crazy, so I went to get my hdd and NO ONE was going after them. Eveyone was going for other stuff. I found it quite funny, I got the first hdd. So, I decided to see how long it took for the next person to get one would be. After looking around and getting bored, I left around 20 minutes or more later. Apparently, no one was interested in them, just everything else. I seem to think that is a sign that this may not be a town for me. I mean, when I hear that a local computer shop, which does work for the DA and stuff downtown, had a hdd crash and was about to loose ALL of this records because HE DIDN'T HAVE A BACKUP!!!! This makes me question, how did I get so nerdy in this town?

On a sidebar, when I say he was about to loose all of his data, my cousin actually had a part in saving the data. Apparently he troubleshot enough to determine it was the controller card on the hdd that went bad and not anything to do with the platters. So they found another hdd (don't know for certain if it was the same brand or even same model, but I assume so) removed the controler board from it and was going to use it on the old hdd but there was a hole which was needed but absent from the board. My cousin drilled the hole so it would fit and apparently they saved the data from certain doom.

Thats my story and i'm sticking to it....

~Kisea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home