Monday, October 10, 2005

What a weekend...

Well, bayfest is over and now I can blog about it :)

Friday night, I went to see Widespread Panic. The first half wasn't quite what I expected, but the second half of the show was very good. They had solos from the guitarist, bass, piano, and drums. All were really good but the drummer playing an awesome bongo solo has to be the highlight.On Saturday, I saw Signull 47, Katelyn Tarver, Top of the Orange, Dark new day, and a couple songs by Bo Bice. Signull 47 described themselves as a "southern punk band" while the jury is still out on the "punk" part of the statement the band was quite entertaining. The lead guitarist was just amazing, and the drummer was pretty good in his own right. During the set, they would throw out burned copies of their cd to the crowd. I was too far back to get one, but I saw the drummer later walking around the crowd and talked to him for a bit and he gave me a copy.

Katelyn Tarver wasn't who I thought she was. She ended up being what looked like a teenie bopper with cookie cutter pop music along the same lines as Lindsay Lohan and Hillary Duff. Nothing too good here, going beyond music, she was the voice for Barbie in an animated movie or something like that. You go girl!!

Top of the Orange was really really good. They have just about everything to become quite popular I think. Great guitar and bass as well as drums and the vocals was really good too. Signull 47's vocals wasn't too good, but Top of the Orange blew them away as a total package. Here's a pic of them. Ok, here is where it gets kinda funny. Between the Top of the Orange set and the Dark New Day set, a bunch of these older granny types show up, some wearing Bo Bice shirts. Well, little did they know that Dark New Day was loud and hard rock. So, when the roadies came out to do a sound test for them, the grannies were immediately dumbfounded at the "racket" that was being spewed forth from the speakers. Some would cover their ears, others would simply look at the others trying to comprehend why people listened to this kind of "noise pollution". The roadies were all playing the instruments and did a little song and the grannies left to go into the back. After the sound check was over, they returned thinking that either they were gone or they turned the sound level down. On comes the band. The lead vocalist had his head shaved but with a little round area in the center front of his head which the grannies pointed at and looked astonished at each other. When they started playing the music was SOOO loud, I don't think I have ever heard a band play so loud. The look of disgust on their face was classic. One granny, who apparently had too much beer actually started to try and dance and would occasionally kick a friend in front of her in the rear causing many annoying stares at her. I stayed for a few songs, they were pretty good but even I didn't particularly enjoy how loud it was. Quality over quantity guys...
Now, this nights headliner was Bo Bice. While I did like some of his classic southern rock and roll renditions of Lynyrd Skynyrd and others from American Idol (no I didn't watch the show) what I saw of his set wasn't that good to me. I'll be honest, I left after only 3.5 songs. The grannies loved him though, glad he's got some sort of crowd cause I wasn't staying.
Now onto Sunday, I got there just in time to hear a couple songs by a group called Hamelin (no relation to Harry though). Their music wasn't too bad either, but the lead vocalist had this annoying nasal singing voice which didn't go too well with several of the songs I listened to.

The real band I wanted to see on the Pepsi stage was Theory of a Deadman. Some of their more noteworthy songs include: Invisible man, Nothing could come between us, Make up your mind, No Surprise, Since you've been gone, and Say goodbye. This was the best rock band I saw all weekend and definitely rank up there in one of the better bands i've seen live as well. While I thought that their new CD wasn't too good, hearing them live made me reconsider how good they really were.Saliva was pretty good, I really didn't like their music that well. Always was good, and Click, Click, Boom was okay, but other than that, I wasn't overly excited about their set.I would have liked to watch Trapt, but B.B. King held the trump card over Trapt. This was the pinnacle of the weekend. The band was awesome, B.B., and Lucille were all awesome. B.B. just turned 80 years old but the man still has the gift. Some of the most beautiful guitar playing and singing anyone could hope for. The stage area was packed with all kinds of people crowding in to get a glipse of him and his legendary Gibson guitar. His stories were funny, his songs poingant and his level of enthusiasm undeniable. He truly is the icon and king of the blues. If you ever have the chance to see him, don't pass it up and if you can get ahold of me i'll try to go again.

So, the round-up of who to see and who to avoid: B.B. King, Theory of a Deadman, Top of the Orange all come in at a "can't miss". While Widespread Panic, Saliva, and Signull 47 come in at "catch them if their handy", Dark New Day, Bo Bice, and Katelyn Tarver come in as "avoid at all costs".

9 Comments:

Blogger Doug Porter said...

What, you missed Tom Thomas's band Moon to Wolves? Should have caught them. Bluegrass at its finest.

Oh, and you might want to turn on the new CAPTCHA stuff they added to Blogger for comments. Might cut down on the spam comments.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Brian Wright said...

yeah, i missed them. I was hoping that I can catch them sometime locally.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did you watch AI or did not you? Too cool to admit? You sound like Carrie Underwood's fan to me. LOL

The review was good, except when you got all biased and disrespectful talking about Bo and his fans. You obviously have an issue with Bo.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Brian Wright said...

Glad you stumbled across my blog, I think your the first comment from someone I don't know... sweet!

No, I didn't see any of the American Idol episodes but I did hear some of his music. His take on some of the classic rock staples was good.

I'm not too fond of 'modern' country music, I do like stuff by George Jones, Conway Twitty stuff like that and even some older country music. I do admit that she, like Bo, have some nice vocal talent (more than me). I believe that she deserved to win, however I was rooting for Bo because he's a fellow Alabamian.

My comments about his 'granny' fans were in jest. I was simply making light of what I found to be a comedic moment. My 'issue' with Bo was that he didn't live up to my expectations and the hype. I appologize if you were disrespected by my comments, but it is my blog and my little blurb says about my comments is "take it with a grain of salt".

Again, thanks for your comment if you have a blog give me a link.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,

One of Bo Bice's "Grannies" here :) Although I'm no where near a granny yet. I do think you probably have some misinterpretations to the reactions to Dark New Day. I thought they were decent except after a couple of songs, they all sounded the same. I did enjoy when they let the guitar player do Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt". I wish you would have stayed for a few more songs. As to Bo Bice and SugarMoney I think they rocked! Did you check out Kris Bell on lead guitar? He was absolutely awesome! I thought Bo and the guys really laid it down showing diversity. They were obviously having the time of their lives!

Much Love,

"Granny Cindy"

6:22 AM  
Blogger Brian Wright said...

Hey Cindy, thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments.

Sorry Cindy, when I speak of grannies I truely mean grannies. These were old enough to be my granny, and i'm not a young'en either. Anyway, I may have left too early, but I wasn't feeling the vibe. Now, Top of the Orange, Theory of a Deadman and the legend himself B.B. King did get me, and many others, vibe going.

If we all liked the same music, there wouldn't be the variety of music out there that there is today.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you have NO idea how many people have read this entry. It's posted all over Bo Bice & S$ Fandom! (Don't you just LOVE the internet??) Generally grannies ;-) don't know how to properly link to a blog...but I assure you. It's being read even if the site isn't getting hits! :-)

I think what I've realized (as a Bo fan) is that that concert was a HUGE 'gift' to their fans. People flew in from Canada & Seattle to see them play for less than 2 hours. Which is probably why you noticed so many of them in the front, but I know there were ones in the back jamming their little hearts out to DND also.

I am sure you can see from the other comments that we are a DEDICATED fan base and sometimes take issue when someone expresses even an inkling of dislike for Bo & his band SugarMoney (really man, only 3 songs? You missed a good show). However, many more of us like all kinds of music and welcome opinions of all kinds...you mentioned them, which means people are talking about them, which I like!!

Incidentally, I also wonder why you missed Moon Wolves, they sound awesome. I do love some bluegrass thrown in with my Bo Bice!

From a 29 year old “granny” ;-)

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am sort of disturbed by the idea that Bo Bice has "granny" fans. I want Bo to have all kinds of fans not just women of that age group. I want him to have younger fans like him (20s, 30s). Is it wrong to want him to have younger male fans and maybe even some hot chick fans too? It might not be nice to say, but if his hardcore fans are all females in their 50s, that is not going to help him attract a younger, hip audience or give him help with rock credibility. Maybe an established rock dude in his 50s could do well with an older mostly female fan base, but Bo needs to generate buzz. He needs the media to find him attractive and cool and likable by fans under age 50. It may make some fans mad to read this, but please try and think of Bo. He needs an audience of all kinds of people. I do not want to associate 29 y.o. Bo Bice who is sexy and passionate and could have so much success with "grannies". That is a turn off. It is okay that he has female fans in their 50s but please lets let Bo have fans his age. Lets let him attract fans who he can see at shows and identify with. Fans his mother's age love him and that is great but think about what kind of fans you'd want if you were a 29 y.o. southern rock male. You'd want some cool guys and some hot young babes. Didn't SugarMoney have strippers as fans? Bo was in Blender magazine. Blender which is for a younger age group. Bo may even smoke pot. A granny fan image does not do much for that. Granny fans are appreciated but I hope Bo Bice is assocaited with fans that are of Bo's age group as well.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Brian Wright said...

Hello everyone, thanks for the posts.

Just think, this much buzz from my little ole blog...whew

Anyway, maybe I should have stayed for a few more songs but like I said, I didn't feel the vibe. I'm a 27yo myself, but his music wasn't very appealing so I split. No offense to Bo or Sugar Money. I would hardly call 29 a granny BTW.

Now if you want a REAL concert, go check out Butch Walker (www.butchwalker.com) he's going to be in Atlanta soon I would be there except for this little thing called school and research papers etc. Plus the gas money, geeze I need a moped. Other good concerts I have seen: Cowboy mouth, Better than ezra, Train, Collective Soul, My Friend Steve, Live, Tenacious D (F'n A #1 stuff there), Greasepaint, The Donnas, and more in there too.

I really wanted to catch Moon to Wolves, but it was at a different stage than I had previously thought and as early as they played I couldn't make it in time.

Anyway, keep those comments coming!!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home