Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Nothing to see here really...

Well, I went to pick up the self install kit for mom's cable 'net service and I remembered that I needed to change the oil in my truck. So, I stop by Autozone to pick up 6 quarts of oil and an oil filter. I get 7 quarts of Ford Motorcraft oil and a Ford Motorcraft oil filter. I return home and proceed in changing the oil. I had the oil draining into my pan and I started filling the new oil filter with oil and mom asked 'why do you do that, they don't do that where I get my oil changed'? I tell her that I like to do things my way, thats why I have never had the oil changed in my vehicle by someone other than myself. I am picky about things like that. I would rather take about 30 minutes out of my day every 3 or 4 months to change the oil myself.

The reason why I put oil in the filter is simple, when you start your engine the first few seconds are critical. They have been formulating oils which cling to the parts in your engine more because those first few seconds after starting your engine is typically when your engine is not lubricated and suffers the worst damage. After you change your oil, the oil pump has to fill the filter with oil before it can further lubricate the engine. Thus, I fill my oil filter with oil before I install it on the engine.

If you were to look closely at a Ford Motorcraft filter, you will notice some little rubber baffles. These were added so that oil would not drain out of the filter when the motor was turned off. None of the other filters I have looked at have this feature which is why I always buy a Motorcraft filter for my truck. I also only use Ford Motorcraft oil because who else knows what kind of oil should be used in their products other than the manufacturer. I am proud to say that I have not had any engine problems with either of my two Ford trucks which could be in any way attributed to a problem with the lubrication system, oil filter or myself.

Now, I talk about computer related stuff a lot on here and since I worked as a mechanic for about 2.5 years before moving to Mobile to finish off my college degree I thought I would share this little insight with you. I don't know how many of you out there change your own oil, but don't be scammed. I don't know how often they do it now, but mom used to get her oil changed at Walmart. Every couple of oil changes they were charging her for a new drain plug. What they were doing was they were removing the plug with an air wrench and they would tighten it back up with an air wrench. After doing that a few times into the relatively thin metal they use to make oil pans it would either muck up the threads or strip the head of the plug. So, they would charge for an oversided, self-tapping plug every couple of visits. An air wrench should never be used to remove or replace a drain plug in an engine. They are trying to get as many vehicles through that place as they can, they are not looking for quality. I prefer quality, I guess that kinda makes me one of the odd sheep in the herd.

~Kisea

1 Comments:

Blogger MadDogGTO said...

You are not the only one for quality. I change my own oil on my car but take my truck to Superlube. With all the four-wheel drive stuff on my truck its not worth the hassle. My car- I don't let to many people touch it. At Superlube, I have never heard an air wrench. I always stand and watch the do it. Can't trust all mechanics.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home