Thursday, June 29, 2006

Free stuff is good stuff...

Since I haven't posted in a while and really can't think of a good one, I thought it would be a great time for a 'what free software I use' blog. So, here we go.
  • OpenOffice - Honestly, I don't use it that much but I'm starting to use it more. Since the ACM does not have an Office license, I use it primarily there. Wish they would add 'track changes'.
  • Firefox - Really, who does not use this wonderful browser now. Its designed to be minimalistic then rely on the public to build extensions.
  • FileZilla - While Firefox has a decent ftp extension for it, I have had some issues pop up with it. FileZilla, on the other hand, has been great and supports secure FTP.
  • Thunderbird - I don't use this as much as I used to. I use it to read my school mail but now I have it forwarded to my gmail account.
  • GMail - I love this! Great interface, built in Google Chat, and lots of space too.
  • Foobar2000 - Since I stopped acknowledging the existence of Winamp after 2.9 I have passively looked for a good music player. With a memory footprint of <14mb>
  • Media Player Classic - I do not like Windows Media Player and I still believe that it 'phones home' with what your watching and listening to, I try to boycott it. Thus, MPC is my player of choice. It works with most all of the same shortcuts from old Media Player 6.4 built into windows with some new additions.
  • Xvid - Great compression Codec which is free. The presentation I recorded of Horst was compressed using Xvid and the quality is quite good. But you must pardon the quality of the video camera.
  • No-IP - I run an FTP here at home just in case I need to grab a file from home withouth the time to drive home to do so. Thus, No-IP allows me to run a program that will check with their server and update the DNS information. Just ask me in person what my free Domain name is LOL.
  • Logmein.com - I use this free version so I can control my PC from anywhere I can use a web browser. This comes in handy when mom has a problem on her PC and needs some help.
Thats a good list so far. So, what free software do you use?

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home