Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The ups and downs of class

So, I had the other two classes on my schedule this semester, AI and Programming Languages. AI is being taught by the overrated mvd. He wants it to be more of a 'research seminar'ish class. *shrug* Just as stupid as the undergrad version, why am I taking it? Easier than graphics but then I would learn something in graphics...so I don't really know.

Programming Languages...something I like, but more importantly its taught by Dr. Langan. Langan can make you like just about anything he teaches and when your done with the class you have learned something. There is no way you can avoid it.

Dr. Langan is approaching the UPE members for action, which is a first I believe for UPE. He and Mrs. McKinney and others want us to kinda be mentors for freshmen. Since the enrollment is down here and across the nation as a matter of fact. Some possibly good students that are coming into the program are not doing as well as they should and others are changing majors. Maybe they can't handle the creativeness necessary to solve problems in computer science. I admit i'm not all that creative in this regards, it takes a lot of work sometimes. Maybe some people are 'affraid' of having their job exported overseas. That is primarily an IT problem. What CS jobs have been exported have been trickling back because some of 'them' don't have good coders and the list goes on and on. Back the the topic, I have volunteered to speak to some freshmen and 'be a mentor' for them. If nothing else, I can put it on my resume.

So, I have this wanting to help further my application development skills. I want to come up with something to work on that, if me and whomever I work on it with feel comfortable with it, releasing it open source or something. I just feel that my coding skills may be lacking.

Haven't really learned anything today, so I'm going to skip the 'What have we learned today' skit. Back to CoH...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home