Monday, August 22, 2005

I'll take 'Lack of professionalism' for a thousand Alex...

I would like to say congradualations to Julie Froseth (hope I spelled it correctly, and picture of Espen and Julie coming soon) for a great presentation for her thesis defense today despite the lack of cooperation by the thunderstorm. While I was listening I noticed something out of the corner of my eye, a PHd professor doodling on a handout. Ok, I can let that slip by. Then a few minutes later I notice something else out of the corner of my eye, the same professor messing around on his PDA. Ok, so maybe it was something important like a personal note that, heaven forbid, should not be forgotten. A few minutes later he is STILL on his PDA, so I lean back to see what has him so captivated...it was bejeweled. This PHd professor was playing bejeweled on his PDA while a thesis defense was taking place. I will only give his initials, W.O. That is so disrespectful, why don't you just skip the defense and stay in your office instead of being so unprofessional.

Next, the school network is so jacked up right now, and they still pay these guys to do whatever they are supposed to be doing. I bet they graduated right here at the fine institution of South Alabama (Zing!). They lock down everything except port 80 to begin with, then as things arise they open more ports. I should go over there and tell them "Hey idiots, my Trillian doesn't work why don't you fix that instead of sitting there and doing little to nothing."

I read on MSN news that Garth Brooks, no i'm not a big country music fan the headline caught my eye, signed a deal with Walmart. I wondered what kind of deal did he sign with Walmart, is he going to do a walmart tour or something. His exclusive, multiyear contract stated that his album(s) to follow will only be available from Walmart, Sams Club and their online outlets. Thats just stupid in my book. If I lived in Hawaii, I don't have a walmart or a sams club so I have to order it online and have it shipped to me...I can't go to my local music store and buy it. Is this going to be the new craze, Walmart starts contracting with artists to have exclusive rights to be the only outlet for certain items. Then comes Target signing Aerosmith or something like that. Then Sears/K Mart signs Black Eyed Peas or some crap. I mean come on.

Today I had my first Hain algorithms class. BORING. Just like the undergraduate algorithms course. But he did say (drum roll please) if we had an idea of an algorithm to go over let him know and we would cover it. So, if anyone has a cool subject in algorithms that I might like let me know.

What have we learned today: 1) Dr. W.O. is a loud, obnoxious baffoon. 2) Hain is boring 3) academic computing guys are morons, 4) Walmart is evil, and 5) Hain is boring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home