Friday, August 19, 2005

New ride..

So, as some of you know I got a different truck, a 1997 Ford F150. This thing is simply wonderful, after 10 years of driving 'Old Blue' who hasn't had an air conditioner since before I started driving, I finally have a working AC. It has the 4.6L V8 so averaging my two tanks of gas I am getting about the same as my old Ranger. Larger truck, more room, AC, cruise control, a working cd/mp3 player, and an exquisite ride. The body isn't in perfect condition but it was a great price. I have to thank 'Old Blue' for treating me so well, but don't worry i'm still going to keep her for a bit longer. Maybe now I can repay kc by giving her a lift more often.

In school related news, I received an email that the department has selected three people from the applicants list and have sent notices that they have been chosen to receive GA's and they are waiting for their answer.

In other news, AMD has hired away from an IBM veteran to lead their development of all future AMD products across all of AMD's worldwide sites (link here). This is very interesting and has sparked speculation from many people such as: 'Will AMD begin making PPC chips" and "Will AMD begin producing Cell processors?" We will have to wait and see. The person who previously filled this post, who they refused to name, is still with the company in another role. We do not know what is going on in R&D already and it may be some time before we receive any hint as to what new research is being conducted but I do believe that AMD will continue to blaze the trail in desktop processing. With this hiring, hopefully they will make more of a dent into the server market and continue to make better mobile processors.

Now i'm looking for some feedback. I'm tired of the transfer time between my two machines, my new Athlon64 machine has dual onboard gigabit NIC's. I am looking at doing three possible things: 1) Getting an SMC 8508T 10/100/1000 8-port gigabit switch and a Linksys EG1032 NIC for my Athlon 1900+ machine (for those of you who are wondering, both support 'jumbo frames'). 2) I was also considering getting the D-Link DGL-4100 10/100/1000 GamerLounge Gigabit router with 4 ports and the same Linksys EG1032 NIC, and 3) The D-Link DGL-4300 (links to manufacturer site and toms hardware) 10/100/1000 w/802.11G and speedboost (up to 108Mbps wireless) 4-port and again the Linksys EG1032 NIC. The DGL-4300 is a mere $10 more than the 4100. While SMC and Intel have some good gigabit NIC's I have never been let down by Linksys. So, please leave me some comments about this will ya.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lord Panzer said...

well folks kick back and help me pop my can of Grapico. You know what bothers me about networking is people that work in computers don't know. Example is my backups everyday. The one I was able to script server to server 4.5gigs takes 20mins. The one that I have to do man. takes about 45 mins to transfer just around 1.5gig. Kisea is not happy with his speeds. Well I don't know what he is going to do but I have looked at the links and I like some and I don't like others. The combo switch with wireless. I throw it out cause not jumbo frame on the gbit stuff and another thing why throw all eggs in one box. What if I find I want the N spec wireless. Well then I got to get a new AP. But the SMC I like it. 9K jumbo frame is good and it is just plug and play. But then I look at the Linksys card. Pretty cool. Don't know of the price but if it is more then 28$ then I am going to intel for a Pro1000 card. The Pro1000GT is the desktop ed. It is just about like the Linksys but is a new gen single chip design. Less heat. and has a pretty good TCPoffload engine. If you are like me and have PCIx slots then get teh Pro1000MT server ed. But again whatever way you go the PCI bus is going to be the limiting factor. Ok so that is good on hardware but guess what how you going to do your network. Got to open another grapico. Well I have yet to max my 100baseTX for internet. And I don't see anything that will do that for a few years. And since I want to max my transfers for big stuff 700MB+(sending DVD images over network) I would do this. Remember NICs are cheap. I would keep a sep AP for the wireless. and well since I got to worry about the fact jumbo frame does not like to talk to non jumbo frame. There is a perf hit from makeing a router go from 9K frames to 1.5K frames is nasty. So here is what I would do to setup my network. And I will soon have it this way. Again AP.(let's hope the laptop got JF Gbit nic also) and keep the 100mb/1000mb 1.5K internet connection with the same DG. And then for the good stuff. Get the cards you want and the SMC switch. Put everything to 9K JF and no DG and then let it rock with nasty fast 20+gig transfers. but hey this is me. I am nuts. I would rather have a clean fast backend that is private from my frontend net connection. Later folks drained the second grapico.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Brian Wright said...

1) the dlink supports jumbo frame
2) if i want n spec wireless i would have to get an n spec card, why would i want to do that when i have G built in
3) they dont produce the pro1000's any more

The more i look at it and read, i'm looking more favorably at the DLink router with wireless. because of the gamefuel tech. this will help with gaming when there is heavy traffic. My connection between my two GB desktops and my roommates GB machine will be sped up. Then if i need to expand my GB get the SMC or something like that later.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home