Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Reporting for duty, Sir

Well, the graduate assistants had a meeting today to go over what our duties and assignments are. For those of you who do not know, I have been offered and accepted the Mentor Graphics Assistantship (the money was the deal there).

So, I show up early as I always do and 2PM rolls around and most of them show up just in the nick of time. We go over how to fill out our time sheets for the new people, where they will be and what to do with them. Then Dr. D comes in and starts talking about how we need to communicate and how help each other out. That if you have to miss a class or lab then you need to get someone to cover for you and only under dire emergency should you contact them about missing a class/lab. Then he further went on about other things such as we should be on the lookout for cheaters since the 120, 121 and 230 assistants will be 'our first line of defense' for this. A couple of us will be teaching class and that the assistants helping them should be respectful and treat them like any other instructor.

So then Kurt and myself along with the other assistants with special duties are excused while the rest find classes to cover. This was the shortest Dr. D meeting EVER for me. I would imagine that the others GA's know how long he can go now. But, the department had two people decline their GA offer so they have three (yes 3) slots open for CS/IS Graduate Assistantships. I have to say not from experience but simply by visibility, Skrubby ran a tight and disciplined ship when he was over the GA's and it is evident that Dr. M.V.D. and Dr. R.D. are having problems.

In addition to the meeting, I received my nice purple parking pass for the South lots (CIS, business, and across University Blvd. parking lots). They have a PDF form you fill out, print and sign then carry to the Student Center game room to received your parking tag for the semester. This was pretty efficient except for the check box where you freely tell them that either, yes I live on campus or no I do not. If you check yes, then you get a plain parking pass and can only park in the dorms or student center area. If you check no, then you can get one of the four designated parking zone tags. I know a couple people who say they do not live on campus just to get the parking tags and be able to drive to class. Maybe some sort of secondary check here. When I lived in the dorms I would have LOVED to have had a transit system. Granted, I did not walk that much because its freaking Mobile. Save gas and enjoy a ride to class maybe even make some new friends.

Well, as for the rest of the week I think I shall play some Dungeon Siege or finish off Doom3 and maybe install Farcry. We'll see.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MULTIPLAY, FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

HAHAHHAHAHAHA they have 3 openings.... all of skubby's crew are like "f'ya, n00b" and now they don't even have enough international students to fill it... Oh sorry did I say that? That was sooo grossly un PC but its such the truth. Maybe if the CS department pays them better.. oh wait.. that's right.. all the GA's except for 3 get HALF of what any other GA makes in other departments. And I'm not counting the Mentor GA's they are in their own seperate set... but the rest of us, ugh got cheated. If/When I go back to take the COMPS (screw ya... no thesis from me, PUNKS) I suggest to take a cam on graduation day for that is the day I will speak my mind every single faculty person who has it coming.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farcry, has to be Farcry.

MadDogGTO

7:18 PM  
Blogger Lord Panzer said...

Ouch Yo

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home