Tuesday, June 10, 2008

HD 3D info

I told some of my friends I see regularly about this but I wanted to blog about it for all of the other people who may not have heard it yet. Matt and I were extras for the filming of Final Destination 4 that was partially shot locally at the Mobile International Speedway.

We all know that most, if not all, of the current big budget films are shot digitally. So, being the techie that I am, I wanted to know some information about the cameras being used to film the movie. I know they used at least 3 cameras to film but I did not know that there were only 5 cameras like those in the world currently. So, I had to find an IT person to get the info about how much data was being captured.

The IT guy told me that the camera would produce 20 Gb per second per eye. In cause you didn't know, 3D is recored per eye. One for the left eye and one for the right eye. So that is a total of 40Gb per second per eye. But it would also record a third stream which was a combination of left and right eye. So, the little tent that would move around with the cameras were each storing 60Gb per second of uncompressed data. Now we didn't ask how or what they were using to store these enormous amounts of data. If you do the fuzzy math, one minute of filming would produce about 3.6Tb of uncompressed data. If anyone has any knowledge of what kind of system they use to store this huge amount of data, please reply or email me. I would love to know.

I cannot wait for sometime in early 2009 to see this movie in the theaters. When myself and some of the people I met at the shoot plan to watch it, I will post it here for my further friends and readers (if there are any reader out there beyond my friends) to come and join us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home